Construction and design of a vertical garden with an automated watering and lighting system.
~ Goals / Expected Outcomes / Hypotheses
2. Watering system (automated with Arduino)
3. Lighting System (automated with Arduino)
• Risk and Safety:
1. List/identify the hazardous chemicals, activities, or devices that will be used.
Smithy Industries. (2013, July 16). Safety precautions on drilling machines. Retrieved from http://www.smithy.com/machining-handbook/chapter-6/page/2
Self Nutrition Data. (2010, July 8). Spinach, raw. Retrieved from http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2
Science Buddies. (2005, February 16). Measuring plant growth. Retrieved from http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/PlantBio_measuring_growth.shtml
The vertical garden can sustain itself with automation of lighting and watering system. The plants within the housing are able to grow similarly to those cultivated in soil.
- Cut a rectangular hole at one side (for plant to branch out from)
- Drill a large hole into the bottle caps; Make sure there is still some border left
- Along the perimeter of the bottle cap, glue wire gauze onto the hole, covering it (Prevents soil from escaping)
- Connect the bottles together by fitting one bottle’s rim into another bottle’s base. Glue them together while making sure they are straight. Let the glue settle before proceeding.
- Screw the bottle caps onto the rims protruding through the base. Apply a little glue to make sure they are firm.
- Add soil into the bottles. Make sure the bottles are facing downwards. Do not fill too much soil, in case it overflows.
- Make sure that water is able to flow through all the bottles adequately.
- Rain collection tank above the structure and covered by a layer wire mesh to prevent foreign objects from polluting the water. It will also be connected to pipe when refill is required.
- Electricity from mains or solar panel
2. Identify and assess the risks involved.One can cut his/her fingers when using the drills, files, pen knifes and bench drilling machine. The bench drilling machine operates at high speeds, hence sharp plastic fragments may be thrown around. oThe heat from the glue gun may burn and scald our fingers.
3. Describe the safety precautions and procedures that will be used to reduce the risks.We have to place our fingers at a safe distance away from the blades and drills, and take extra precaution when using the hot glue gun. If the glue gun is not in use, we would turn it off to prevent it from overheating. Since the bench drilling machine operates at a high speed, we have to remove any accessories (e.g watches, gloves, tie) and wear safety goggles and mask. If the drill is filled with chips, use a brush to clean it. Do not use your hands.
4. Describe the disposal procedures that will be used (when applicable).We will dispose of any fragments of plastic that has been cut properly into the dustbins provided. We would also use cutting mats and corrugated plastic to prevent any damage to other surfaces (table tops).
5. List the source(s) of safety information.- Notices and instructions in the ADMT studio for using the bench drilling machine.
- Instructions given by teachers in regards to safety
• Data Analysis: